Amazon launches probably the best quality, cheap, product with its new Fire tablet for just $50! Rumors started circulating last week that Amazon was going to drop their tablet for just $50. Amazon has taken some criticism for their failure of the Fire phone but this is a major game change for people who do not want to shell out hundreds of dollars for devices such as the iPad. You can pre-order now and they will ship / arrive on Sept 30th. Below are the specs for the new fire tablet:
- 7″ IPS display with 171 ppi (1024 x 600)
- 1.3 GHz quad-core processor
- Front and rear facing camera
- Access to Amazon Underground (Amazon’s app store)
- Access to an array of movies, tv shows, music. If you have Prime, a lot of content is free
- 8 GB of internal storage
- microSD card expandable to 128GB
- Free unlimited cloud storage for Amazon content and photos
- 5GB for files and videos for cloud storage
- Fire OS 5. You can likely flash another OS onto it but you will void your warranty
- Battery is unknown but Amazon is citing 7 hours of continuous use
- WiFi support
The best part of this is the microSD support. This will allow you to expand the storage which makes it more enticing. I have the 2nd generation Nexus 7 tablet and suffer from lack of storage.
Note that the $50 price is for sponsor version of the tablet. Similar to the Kindle, you have the option to buy sponsor version or non sponsor version. Sponsor version will display ads during screen lock. Non sponsor version will be ad free and will cost $15 more.
One more thing, there is an amazing deal right now if you buy 5 Fire tablets, you get one free! This will bring your cost down to only $41.60 per tablet!
I just bought one. Will do an unboxing and review video soon!